Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sec4rets by A. L. Burgos



Kindle Edition only $3.00
Sec4rets by A. L. Burgos


Description
We all have secrets...
Mark, Tiffany, Kevin and Kim are best friends. When they enter High School together they find out that it's not all fun and games as they find out that drama is involved. They must stick together to get through High School but when they start to keep secrets from each other, ones that can tear them apart, their friendships will be tested as the secrets come out. So will their friendships survive or will the secrets be too much and tear them apart? Let the secrets come out...



Review
By Katherine Christina Rochholz
I will give this 4 out of 5 stars
I loved this book. I normally do not read this type of book, teenage drama was never my thing. I went through enough of it as a teenager. But I loved this book! I wanted more, there were the characters you loved, the characters you loved to hate… those you just plain hated… those you related to… I won’t go into much detail because people should read this book, it deals with a lot of real issues. It is a quick read, I read it in just a day. I loved some of the characters and hated others. I had my ideas about who it was that knew the secrets. It was a fast paced book that kept you on the edge of your seat, leaving you wanting more, and leaving you loving and hating the characters. I would recommend it for older teens and young adults, there is some language to it, but what teen doesn’t say a cuss word now and then. 
Now why did it get 4 and not five if I loved it so much? There were parts where I had to go back and reread just make sure that I knew what was going on. Within chapters you transition from one character to another, and there is no space no clear transition. The other thing though I love dialogue, it seemed there were some parts that needed more, there could have been more details of a scene or the facial expressions of the characters. There is so much you can get from dialogue but sometimes the dialogue needs a little help. There were some other little details that didn’t really make too much sense but they are forgivable. 
I am very excited to know there is a book two because I so want more of these characters. So if you want teen drama you have found it with this book. It is an edge of your seat roller-coaster ride of drama and breathtaking moments that create characters you will love to hate, and hate to love. A great first novel from A. L. Burgos!


Excerpt
The sun was beginning to come up. The birds were chirping as they flew from tree to tree. The New York streets were wet from the nights rain. Cars zoomed down the streets as people made their way to work. A alarm clock rang on a nightstand next to the bed of one Tiffany Gomez. She slowly opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling. The radio played some song that Tiffany did not know. She looked over at her alarm clock. 7:00am blinked in big red lights. She rubbed her eyes and slammed her hand down on the clock. She laid there under her covers for a few minutes. She knew she had to get up but her body was telling her to stay still. The first day of High School loomed in her mind. She knew it wasn’t going to be as fun as she seen on TV.
“Damn it.” She finally spoke. Her body was finally letting her get up from her bed. She made her way down the hall to the bathroom where she would shower the night away. She stood there under the warm water and she thought to herself. There would be a lot of old people from Junior High there, so that was a plus. On the other hand there would be a bunch of new people she didn’t know. Ones that she knew would be rude and ones that she knew would try so hard to be her friend. She kind of felt relaxed more with the thought of the rude ones. She hated people who tried to befriend her when she didn’t like them. It was her number one pet peeve.
“Can you hurry up?” Joseph yelled at the top of his voice. Joseph is Tiffany’s younger brother. He was starting his first day of Junior High and he was overly excited.
“I’m coming out now.” She yelled back. They didn’t have the best brother sister relationship but they didn’t have the worst either. They would argue over the dumbest things but what brother and sister didn’t.
When their father passed away 2 years ago Tiffany was in Junior High and Joseph was still in elementary. Joseph knew about death but he wasn’t fully aware of what it meant. Tiffany had to be strong for her brother who had sleepless nights. He had dreams of his father buried under ground with worms eating his eyes. He would cry almost every night. Tiffany didn’t have time to grieve cause her mother and brother were a mess. She tried to keep them calm until one day Tiffany had enough. She called her best friend Mark over for a sleepover. As they laid on her bed watching a movie Tiffany broke down in tears. She cried so hard that she couldn’t breathe. She felt so much better after that cry. She had finally released the hurt and pain that was inside. Her and Mark just stood there holding each other.
“Mom said to hurry up breakfast is on the table and I need to shower.”
“I am coming.” She yelled with a tone of annoyance added in with anger.
Tiffany stepped out the shower and tied the towel around her body. She walked over to her room so she could dry off and get dressed. There on her computer desk stood her Blackberry. She picked it up and looked at the screen, no missed calls or text messages. Tiffany was hoping that Mark had tried to contact her. After they graduated from Junior High School Mark decided to leave New York and go to Pennsylvania. Mark didn’t tell Tiffany anything about his plans, it was Mark’s parents who had informed her of his plans. All Summer he had been ignoring her calls and texts. Her best friend had abandoned her.

From the Author
I want to introduce myself, my name is Anthony Luis Burgos and I am an aspiring writer. As a young child I loved to write, it became a big part of my life. I am now 27 years old and have finished my book, the first book I ever wrote that I am self publishing. 
All my life I have had people tell me to publish my books but I never knew how to do that. I Googled publishing and it seemed nearly impossible to get published. Now with the likes of Nook, Kindle and iBooks anyone can get your books published and make money from it. 
I finished my first teen drama book entitled Sec4rets last month and I am so pleased with it. The writing process was one filled with so many emotions. I went through being happy, angry, sad, confused, and lost. When I write I write for a reason and that is to have people out there relate to something, so when I wrote some scenes in my book I did cry. There were also times where I lost my way and felt like I wouldn't finish the book at all, I didn't know where I wanted the book to go or how I wanted the characters to be. I was in a major writers block point for about a whole month. I sat back and took that month off and just let ideas come to me, and low and behold they came like a tidal wave and I was back to writing my book again. 
As a writer I had my writing process in mind, not all authors have the same state of mind for their project but I had my way and it worked. At the beginning of writing I had the characters names, the storylines and the ending. I feel that you should have a ending before you start writing so that when you start writing you have a idea of how it should flow, so that it can get to that final chapter and final scene you have in your head. I may have changed some of the story lines a few from time to time but the ending always stayed the same in my head. The funny thing is that this is a teen drama series and I already have the ending for the final book (which is number 8 lol) and now I know what I need to do to get to that ending that I yearn to reach. 
Overall the writing process is very fun but at times can be very stressful because I do have friends waiting to read it and I don't want to let them down. I am excited for everyone to read it and I am already working on book 2 and have my writing process all in my head….ending and all…"

Links